2017-2018 Live Your Dream Education & Awards Program
Application Postmark Deadline: November 15, 2017
The Soroptimist Live Your Dream Award (formerly the Women's Opportunity Award) assists women who provide the primary source of financial support for their families by giving them the resources they need to improve their education, skills and employment prospects.
Each year, more than $1.6 million in education grants are awarded to more than 1,200 women, many of who have overcome enormous obstacles including poverty, domestic violence and/or drug and alcohol abuse. Live Your Dream Award recipients use the cash award to offset any costs associated with their efforts to attain higher education, such as books, childcare, tuition, and transportation.
Since the Live Your Dream Awards program began in 1972, approximately $30 million in education grants have been disbursed to assist tens of thousands of women achieve their dreams of a better life for themselves and their families. They are women -- just like you -- who had the courage and determination to turn their lives around.
The program begins on the club level, where award amounts vary. Club recipients become eligible to receive region-level monetary awards, which are granted through Soroptimist's 28 geographic regions. Region-level award recipients then become eligible to receive one of three $10,000 finalist awards at the international level.
On a local level, Soroptimist International of Greater Bremerton will provide multiple awards of varying amounts for the 2017-2018 program year.
You are eligible to apply if you:
1. Provide the primary financial support for yourself and your dependents. Dependents can include children, spouse, partner, siblings and/or parents.
2. Have financial need.
3. Are enrolled in or have been accepted to a vocational/skills training program or an undergraduate degree program.
4. Are motivated to achieve your education and career goals.
5. Reside in one of Soroptimist International of the Americas’ member countries/territories (Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guam, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Northern Mariana Islands, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Taiwan, United States of America, Venezuela)
6. Have not previously been the recipient of a Soroptimist Women’s Opportunity Award or Live Your Dream Award
7. Do not have a graduate degree.
8. Are not a Soroptimist member, an employee of Soroptimist International of the Americas, or immediate family of either. Immediate family is defined to include spouse/partner, parents, siblings, children or grandchildren by adoption, blood or marriage.
If you meet the eligibility requirements, download and complete the following forms, and return them to us. Applications must be postmarked by November 15, 2017, without exception.
Mail completed application with required attachments to:
Live Your Dream Awards Committee
Soroptimist International of Greater Bremerton Area
P. O. Box 5375
Bremerton, WA 98312
Cindy Brooke, President & LYD Chair
Mobile (360) 204-4699
We wish you the best of luck in achieving your educational and professional goals.
ABOUT LIVE YOUR DREAM
Education and Training Awards
The Background - White Papers
Soroptimist International of Greater Bremerton Area is a charitable, not-for-profit organization exempt from Federal income tax under section 501(c)3 of the
Internal Revenue Code. As such, all contributions to the organization are fullty tax deductible to the extent allowed by law. Please consult a tax adviser.